Monday, March 30, 2009

Mushroom and Asparagus Tarts

This month's Bon Appetit was really fabulous. I made a vow to work more with puff pasty, and voila! They had the most delicious looking recipe. I made a few tweaks based on what I had in the fridge, but it was a really tasty spring treat.

Mushroom and Asparagus Tarts


2 sheets frozen puff pasty, thawed
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 leek, rinsed and sliced
12 ounces baby portabello mushrooms
Salt and pepper to taste

1 pound asparagus spears, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
Zest from 1 lemon
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese

Roll out pastry sheets and cut into 6 squares each and place on a baking sheet. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and leeks and saute 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and salt and pepper and cook additional 3 to 5 minutes. Place mushroom mixture in a bowl and refrigerate about 15 minutes. Toss in asparagus spears, lemon and cheese.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place mushroom asparagus mixture on each pastry square, leaving a 1/2 inch border on each. Bake tarts 20 to 22 minutes, rotating halfway through cooking time.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Asparagus might be my favorite spring veggie. And when it's in a tart with gruyere, it's even better.

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Brittney said...

You take a hiatus from blogging and you come back with THIS? YOU KNOW I DON'T LIKE MUSHROOMS!

But I'm sure everyone else loved it, and for that, I congratulate you.

PS - I'm going to make you some food for your birthday when I come up there. Carrot cake cupcakes have been done - suggestions, or will you leave me to my own vices? Not a meal, just a thing--I'm not you, as you know.

Jodi said...

I love mushrooms and think this recipe looks divine. Alamo Drafthouse had a special mushroom madness pizza during SXSW...might have been a nightmare for Brittney but was heaven to me.

coffee and queso said...

Ah! I saw these in Bon Appetit as well; looked gorgeous there and here. Glad *someone* made them, since I didn't!