Honestly, this whole pregnancy thing has kept me from being super adventurous in the kitchen. Lots more meals eaten out, and plenty of simple meals (think sandwiches, and meals based off pre-marinated chicken breasts, for example). A few of the cravings/phases I've gone through in the past months:
- CHEESEBURGERS (granted, these are always a favorite of mine, but I've given in a lot more often than I used to)
- Caesar everything (think caesar salad, chicken caesar BLT tacos, chicken caesar BLT sandwiches...)
- Eggs and salty meats (There were a couple weeks where I had a mini whole wheat bagel with pancetta, egg and cheddar EVERY DAY for breakfast)
- Chicken everything (especially nuggets) - I've wished I had a Chick-fil-a- closer to me the past few months (but let's be honest, it's probably best that I don't)
- Indian/Thai/Chinese food - again, I loved these before, but something about the protein/delicious sauce/carb combo I can't get enough of. The Whole Foods Market hot bar Tikka Masala doesn't know what hit it!
Anyway, between all of my protein cravings, the fact that I escaped a lot of first trimester morning sickness, and some very vivid dreams about having a boy, I was thrilled and not TOO surprised to find out that...
It's a boy!
In honor of that, I thought I'd share a recipe for cowBOY tacos - enjoy!
Short Rib Cowboy Tacos
1 pound prepared beef short ribs (I made a big batch of these short ribs from Bon Appetit and saved 6 pieces)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 4 ears of corn, kernels removed
1/4 cup chopped red onion
Salt and pepper to taste
Tortillas (you know I love Margarita's Raw White Tortillas that you just cook up real fast in a dry skillet)
3 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
4 ounces leafy greens (I used spinach)
Sour cream or Greek yogurt (optional)
Warm up short ribs and cut into bite-sized pieces or shred. Set aside and keep warm.
In a cast iron skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add corn and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until corn begins to brown and onion softens. Season with salt and pepper.
Warm up tortillas and put in short ribs and corn mixture. Sprinkle on green onions and cilantro and add a few leaves of greens. Top with salsa (I like a roasted poblano version, chipotle would be nice too!) and sour cream. Enjoy!