Thursday, August 21, 2008

Pesto Tilapia

One of my favorite things to do with my food processor is to make pesto. I just recently got this latest kitchen toy last Christmas, for the sole purpose of making the pestos I'd seen in cookbooks and magazines for years.

Pesto Tilapia
pesto
3 tablespoons pinenuts
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 bunches basil leaves (about a cup and half)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
fish
1 pound tilapia fillets
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin

To prepare pesto, cook pinenuts in a skillet on medium heat until lightly toasted, about 3 to 5 minutes; set aside. In the same pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Add garlic and roast a couple minutes. Add pinenuts and garlic to food processor and pulse. Next add parmesan cheese and salt and pepper and pulse. Add basil and pulse again. With the processor on, stream in olive oil until reaching desired consistency (I use about 1/4 cup).

Heat a large skillet on medium high (I used a castiron) and drizze with olive oil. Season tilapia heavily with black pepper, and add a bit of salt as well. Sprinke cumin over fillets as well. Place seasoned side down in the skillet and season the other side as well. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with a teaspoon of pesto spread across the top.


I served this with grilled corn and seared broccoli for a healthy, balanced meal.

Grilled Chili Lime Corn
4 ears corn, shucked
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 limes
1 teaspoon chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a grill pan on medium high heat. Place corn on pan and begin grilling, turning occasionally. In the meantime, add all other ingredients to a micowave save bowl and heat until butter has melted. When corn is about done, begin brushing chili lime butter on all sides and turning to get a lovely toasty brown color on it. Serve with extra chili lime butter on the table.


Seared Broccoli
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 heads broccoli
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat a medium skillet on medium heat and swirl in 1 tablespoon oil. Add minced garlic and saute for one minute. Add broccoli and sear, turning occasionally, around 8 minutes. Season with red pepper and salt and pepper. Drizzle additional olive oil as needed to prevent drying out.




The final product plate including pesto!

5 comments:

Brittney said...

What's a clove of garlic? No, seriously. Like, I know what garlic is, but I know it as a big white thing and then as a crushed up thing in a jar. Help me out here.

All the rest of you reading this--shut up and don't make fun of me. I'm trying!! If you want to know anything about the ins and outs of the oil and gas industry, you give me a call.

Lindsay said...

Excellent question Brittney, no need to be embarrassed! There are several different ways to buy garlic. I like to buy the fresh heads of garlic in the produce section (usually by the onions). You can also buy bottled minced garlic, and I just noticed a huge thing of peeled cloves of garlic at costo.

When you buy a head of garlic, it is composed of several cloves of garlic (usually about 8-10). You can smash them with the side of a knife to break the skin and get the juices flowing. Then remove the papery skin and you can chop/dice/slice at will!

Brittney said...

That sounds entirely too complicated for my remedial brain...I think I'm going to stick to the kind in the glass jar with the liquid or seek out the ones you found at Costco.

I always thought a clove of garlic was that whole white thing that looks like an onion, so when people said "put 4 cloves in" I was like "that's a crap ton of garlic--clearly I am confused."

Thanks for your help and lack of mockery--always appreciated :)

Love,
Your favorite cooking klutz

Jodi said...

Cue the spooky background music 'cuz I TOO think that the best thing to make in a food processor is pesto!

Brittney said...

Do you have to have a food processor to make pesto? Is this a stupid question?