Sunday, August 24, 2008

Christine's Turkey Bean Chili

Living in Texas, it's only appropriate to have a chili recipe in your arsenal when the timing is right. Normally, August is no time for chili, but this past week was rainy and dismal. The weather coupled with a few extra cold days in the office, chili sounded like just the antedote. This recipe is from Cooking Light, but I call it Christine's since it's her favorite thing that I make.

Turkey Bean Chili
1 cup prechopped red onion

1/3 cup chopped seeded poblano pepper (about 1)

1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic

1 1/4 pounds ground turkey

1 tablespoon chili powder

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and dra
ined
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

6 lime wedges


Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add first 4 ingredients; cook for 6 minutes or until turkey is done, stirring frequently to crumble. Stir in chili powder and next 8 ingredients (through broth); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

To me, chili wouldn't be complete without a topping of cheese and a side of cornbread, so I sprinkled my bowl liberally with some cheddar cheese. I also prepared a box of cornbread mix, but I added some fresh corn kernals for a nice added texture.

Yum!

3 comments:

Brittney said...

WHY DOES CHRISTINE GET A RECIPE WITH HER NAME IN IT AND I DON'T?!?!

Ouch, man. Ouch.

Unknown said...

dude that looks awesome! I think I might make that pretty soon- especially if we get rain since it really is too hot for Chili in August :)

Anonymous said...

Being a native Texan, I never considered making chili with turkey. I guess its never too late to teach an old dog new tricks.