Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Life (and food) with baby: part V

We've had a busy beginning of spring! Despite being sick a couple weeks ago and still feeling the lingering affects last week, we've been out and about and still cooking plenty. Don't worry, if you stick with the post I've got a recipe to share at the bottom!

While I was sick, Luke was a champ and mastered front-facing baby wearing walks so he could also walk Benji while I mouthbreathed on the couch. 

Freelance recipe testing is going really well too! I went there last week and brought some bruschetta and also some mayonnaise recipes I tested. Yum :)

Swim class is going strong! Luke took a long lunch this week so he could join us. 

This week, Emmett and I hit up the Whole Foods Market Domain location to meet the Easter bunny. He wasn't super smiley, but he also didn't cry! I'll chalk that up to a win :)
I've been dying to try St. Phillip, and I also hadn't seen my friend Lundy in ages. Last Friday I knocked out two birds with one stone. Delicious pizza (and pastries for the weekend!) and great conversation :) I did a pregnancy and postnatal bootcamp at the Lululemon at the Domain on Saturday morning, so I had just enough time to shove some of those tasty pastries in my mouth before a TOUGH workout. I'm still feeling it!

 
I'm finally pulling up the last of our winter garden - oh, how I've enjoyed those fresh greens for impromptu salads! And our carrots are always late to mature, but they've come in handy the last couple of weeks! I roasted some up along with some parsnips we grew to toss with some paprika, cumin, chipotle, balsamic vinegar and avocado oil to roast up for a salad. Don't forget the crumbled feta!
 

 I busted out the breadmaker that Luke's mom used when he was a kid the other week. There's nothing like the smell of fresh-baked bread...

 And other various eats lately. It's been a yummy couple of weeks!
Morning PB&J oatmeal
Eating outside!
Pizza night!
Vegetarian Quiche using goodies already in the fridge - grilled veggies, feta and pesto. Made the crust with half white flour, half whole wheat pastry flour!


Vegetarian Pesto Quiche
This is a great make-ahead dish - perfect for nap time! Just pop it back in the oven to warm it slightly before you serve.

1 cup and 1 tablespoon flour (I used half white and half whole wheat pastry flour)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold
3 tablespoons cold water
1 1/2 cups grilled veggies (I used asparagus, zucchini and red bell peppers)
1/2 cup cheese (I used crumbled feta)
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cup milk (I used 2%, whole would be better!)
1/4 cup pesto
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix flour, salt and sugar in a mixer. Cut butter and add to flour mixture and stir until there are pea-sized clumps. Add 3 tablespoons cold water, more if needed, until the dough starts to get a little sticky (but not too sticky). You want to be able to form a loose ball with your hands. Lay out dough on a floured surface and roll with a rolling pin. Transfer it to a pie pan.

Add the veggies to the crust and top with cheese. Whisk eggs, milk, pesto and salt and pepper in a bowl then pour over veggies. Bake 50-60 minutes until the quiche is set (not jiggly if you shake it a bit). Let cool before you bake.

No comments: