Monday, January 14, 2013

Colorful Breakfast Hash with Sriracha

How are your New Year resolutions going? Being dairy free has been surprisingly easy for Luke and I, especially since I've allowed myself to cheat a few times here and there (a latte with milk when no other option was available, tasting a bite or 4 of wedding cake samples with a friend, yogurt in a mango lassi - all things in moderation, right?!) I'm looking forward to reintroducing it into my diet next month, with moderation, and am glad that this experiment is teaching me that I don't need dairy - cheese especially! - to be happy.

In other news, I still have a few miscellaneous boxes of items that never got unpacked from the move (9 months ago!), but I dug out this chalk board and took time to write out this week's menu on it. I typically just cut out the tiny corner of my shopping list where I write the week's menu and stick it on the fridge, so this is a big step up. Never mind my childish handwriting :)
So, onto a tasty breakfast! I know I've already posted a breakfast hash, but this one was just so colorful and fun, I had to share another. We loved not only the color, but the heat a little sriracha contributed. 

Colorful Breakfast Hash with Sriracha

1 pound fingerling potatoes - different colors if you can get them
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (or 1/2 red bell and 1/2 yellow like I already had on hand, for more color)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup rinsed black beans
2-4 eggs
Sriracha

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces and spread out on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, warm up a skillet on medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and bell pepper to skillet and saute 5-6 minutes. Season with cumin and cook another minute. Add black beans and cook until warmed through. Add cooked potatoes and stir to combine, then season to taste.

While veggies are cooking, bring a medium sauce pan half-way full of water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add 1-2 eggs and let poach 3-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place over hash. Drizzle with Sriracha and enjoy!

Divine

Yolk attack!!

No comments: