Thursday, January 31, 2013

Butternut Squash Hummus

Okay, okay, I promise I'll cool it with the butternut squash recipes soon! I swear, it's been my best friend (along with a variety of grains and beans) during the dairy and meat free challenge. That said, I made a version of this to bring to a party a couple months ago, and it was a huge hit! It's a riff off of a version that calls for just the squash and no chickpeas. I love the starchy thickness that the chickpeas offer, so I had to put them back in!

Butternut Squash Hummus
Adapted from Butternut Hummus from Whole Foods Market 

2 cups roasted butternut squash (i like to trim the top and bottom off a small squash, half it, seed it and roast face-side down in a baking pan with a little bit of water on 400 for 45 minutes)
1 can chickpeas
1 garlic clove
2 teaspoons cumin
8 green olives
Juice from 1 lemon
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Note, if you have tahini on hand (I'd just run out when I made this) add a few tablespoons for more true hummus flavor. It's fine without!

Add the first 6 ingredients (through lemon) to a food processor and pulse until smooth. Turn processor on and stream oil in through feed until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with favorite dippers (I love with bell pepper slices and pita chips!)

No comments: