Monday, September 17, 2012

Going bananas over pancakes

Luke and I love weekend breakfasts (as I explained in my sweet potato hash post), but they typically don't involve pancakes. Luke and I tend to enjoy more savory foods, but now that fall has hit, all bets are off when the high doesn't get past 84 degrees in Austin (woohoo!).

I don't know about you, but I have a sad pile of bananas in my freezer waiting for the day they will become banana bread. With just 2 people in the house, I don't often make banana bread since we can never seem to get through more than half a loaf. That's when inspiration struck and these pancakes were born. All together, this breakfast took at 15 minutes to make and cook!

Apologies for the lack of photo, we were in a rush and had to scarf these down!

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
Tweaked from this recipe by My Baking Addiction

Makes 6 pancakes (2 servings)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour (can use all-purpose flour here as well)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 ripe banana, mashed (I thawed one that I had frozen overnight in the fridge)
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract



Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil, banana and vanilla.

Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be slightly lumpy.

Heat a griddle over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides; serve hot.

Note, we topped ours with scoops of Justin's maple almond butter - my current obsession - and drizzles of maple syrup and honey. Do this if you want the most delicious breakfast ever :)
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you were right. i do love this post. Holy yum. I want some.