Monday, September 24, 2012

Austin Restaurant Week Review: Salty Sow

I had seen the name pop up a few times when it opened this summer but hadn't done much research. After seeing them on the list of Austin Restaurant Week participants, I had to check out what they were offering. Salty Sow's menu stood out to me far and away and I knew I wanted to make a visit! 

Located in East Austin on Manor street near Vivo and El Chile, Salty Sow is in a hip area and has a cool vibe inside and a large patio outside. I'll definitely be coming back for a cool fall evening happy hour soon to experience the patio.


One of my favorite things is that they had not only a $27 ARW menu, but also a $37. Both were three courses and looked delicious, so I figured I might as well try to the $27 menu since I have several more ARW visits in the next two weeks.

I started my meal with a ZenJen cocktail, starring gin and ginger liqueur - holy yum, this was so good I had to have two! I know the girls all really enjoyed their cocktails too, so I can't wait to come back and try more.

For starters, two of us had the beef hash with fried egg and veal jus (perfectly salty, a nice sized portion and a great start to the meal) and two of us had the goat cheese fritters (these were huge! Two nice slices of bread with fruit topping helped to cut the cheese). A very strong start on the appetizer front.

For dinner, three of us ordered the duck confit with sauteed greens and mushrooms. I always hesitate before ordering duck, because it can be TOO rich for my blood sometimes - this time it wasn't. Perfectly succulent and falling off the bone - I ate every last bite! My friend got the pork cheeks with grits which was to.die.for - wish I could've eaten both!

Dessert was nice and light - fresh berries glazed in Gran Marnier with freshly whipped cream.

Also as a bonus, some friendly diners sitting next to us had ordered the truffled parmesan fries that were part of the $37 menu and were kind enough to share after seeing how much we coveted them - AMAZING.

Will I come back? YES. Would I recommend their ARW menu to others? YES.

So, where will you be going for Austin Restaurant Week?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really wanted to go to the Salty Sow but ended up going to Cru