Sunday, July 24, 2016

Day in the Life - 19 Months

Since I last checked in Emmett enjoyed his first beach vacation to Galveston for my mom's birthday. He LOVED the beach and the resort pool, but mostly time with the family. We also survived a weekend just the two of us while Luke lived in up in Vegas for his best friend's bachelor party.

I got back the photos from our 18 month photo shoot done by my friend Megan - I love them!! They were a Mothers Day/Fathers Day gift to Luke's parents, so it was extra fun having grandma and grandpa there for the pictures!

We've been having a blast this summer inside and out, but it definitely wears this mama OUT. Three things I'm thankful for - booze, ice cream and air conditioning. For another perspective, my friend Rachel just did her own day in the life with HER 19 month old, Amity! That said, here's another day in the life with Emmett:

6:30 a.m. Emmett starts crying and saying "up" - he's ready to start the day! His wake up times have been waffling from 6:30-7:30 based on how much sleep he got the previous few days and if they were heavier on night time sleep or day time sleep (he averages anywhere from 12 - 13.5 hours per day, and usually 10.5-11.5 of those are are night. Naps are usually 1.5 - 3 hours in the day). I go in to greet him and he immediately dives down to read a book (his current favorite is Luke's Father's Day present from him - My Dad is the Best Playground), then changes his mind and heads towards the stairs to go down to the living room and play! I make coffee and start making breakfast while he and Luke play and read. He runs over to the kitchen to climb on his stool and "manage" my cooking process while munching on strawberries.

7:05 a.m. Breakfast is served! Toast with jam, eggs, fruit and coffee for the adults. Kix with yogurt, toast and eggs for Emmett (but he only eats the kix and yogurt) ;)

7:20 a.m. All done with breakfast, so time to clean up, play and get dressed!

7:50 a.m. Emmett is into pushing his stroller lately, so we head out on a walk. He makes it a good half block pushing the stroller, but it's slow going and he gets distracted a lot, so we finally get him in the stroller and set off. We run into a neighbor coming back from mountain biking at Walnut Creek - I'm always impressed by friends who don't have kids who voluntarily wake up early on the weekend!

8:55 a.m. Back from our walk! Luke and I take turns getting showered/ready while the other plays with Emmett. I hang out with him in the backyard by the sand table for a bit.

10:00 a.m. We head to our friends' joint first birthday party for both of their younger children. It's in the neighborhood, but since it'll be a million degrees and almost naptime when it's over, we opt to drive there. Emmett has a blast playing with friends and toys, and especially loves their sand box and slip n slide in the backyard! Luke and I love the homemade breakfast taco and both start innocently with one but then head back for seconds (and thirds for him!) so our mid morning snack turns into lunch. We all enjoy a strawberry sheet cake - especially Emmett!

Noon Back home and realizing we need to feed our kid. I offer up some leftover kung pao chicken from tacos that he loved yesterday (not interested today), edamame and watermelon. He eats one slice and a few handfuls of edamame and then declares he's "all done" - well ok. We play around the house and in the backyard some more and read some books.

12:50 p.m. Out at the sand table the wind shifts and I get a wiff of a dirty diaper. I take him inside to change him and then we head upstairs for a bottle and a nap. Our pediatrician has been giving us a hard time that E still drinks his milk from a bottle, so we're trying to wean him off of it. The process hasn't been going too well and will likely end up cold turkey, but I'm not quite ready. So instead we offer 6 ounces in a bottle and have more milk in a sippy cup in case he really wants more - he's instead been contenting himself with only 6 ounces, so we will see.

1:00 p.m.m Emmett drifts off at the end of his bottle so I drop him in the crib without reading today. I'm wiped from being in the heat for so long, so I go to lay down for a little nap. I set my alarm but must've turned it off because...

2:50 p.m. I hear Emmett cry and realize I slept almost 2 hours. OOPS! I have hardly ever slept a whole nap time and am feeling frustrated at myself for not having any productive time. Luke was busy doing a little work on my car so didn't realize I slept for so long. Oh well, I'm still catching up from a LATE night out a few days ago to see a sneak preview of Bad Moms (so hilarious and worth it).

3:00 p.m. We head downstairs and I ask Emmett if he's hungry. He says yes so I sit him down with an apple (I peel half of it off because otherwise he spits apple peel everywhere - SO attractive) and a new snack - some dried okra. I don't tend to love offering foods in this format, but he's not eating a lot of green veggies right now so I give them a try. He loves them and eats 8 along with maybe a third of the apple. Luke opens up a can of hibiscus saison from one of the breweries just 1 mile from our house - Adelberts, who recently just started canning beer- woohoo! Emmett plays for a while and I attempt to shake off my epic nap and Luke and I decide what to do with the afternoon.

4:10 p.m. We hop in the car and head 10 minutes away to Mt. Playmore - kind of like Leaps and Bounds for children of the 90's. I brought Emmett here a month ago but the toddler area was closed, so we just ran around the whole place. He loved the arcade area but wasn't into the tunnels. This was our first time on the weekend and it was PACKED. Luckily Luke loves stuff like this, so he and E tackled the tunnels and he actually enjoyed it. Then we hit the toddler zone and he become obsessive about pushing this cart on a little roller coaster track - it was his job for sure. He eventually toppled over and got near tantrum zone, so we called it and headed home. Luckily he calmed down in the car!

5:30 p.m. We get home and E and Luke start playing. I hop into dinner prep mode. I had intially started thawing some bacon wrapped scallops to grill, but since we had a ton of bacon at the birthday party, I switched gears and did salmon instead. I added some spices and threw the fillets on the grill and tossed a light arugula salad. Then I got into recipe development mode. I'm partnering with HapPea Fries (frozen chickpea fries) to develop some recipes and do a video series with them, so I tested two concepts for dinner. They were great! Need a little tweaking so I'll be working on that later this week.

6:05 p.m. Time to sit down for dinner. Emmett pounds almost a whole fillet of salmon (we recently started making him his own instead of sharing 2 between the 3 of us, but he and I both don't quite finish ours - his lunch tomorrow! He eats a few HapPea fries and a handful of edamame and is content. He's most excited about the extra honey I put on his tray to dunk his salmon and chickpea fries in.

6:25 p.m. All done with dinner, so we quickly clear the trays then start getting ready for a family bike ride! We don't go as often as we'd like since if either Emmett or Benji didn't get to expend enough energy, we opt for a walk. But since they both had good exercise today, we did a gentle neighborhood bike ride instead!
 (note he's playing around in the carrier before we leave, obviously we buckled him up!)

7:05 p.m. We are home and Emmett is SO happy from the bike ride, but he doesn't want to go inside!! We convince him, however, and Luke takes him upstairs for bath time while I power clean the kitchen. I join them for bottle and book reading. Then Emmett does his sign to brush his teeth (which he LOVES doing right now). Back in his room, in the crib, and time to read his goodnight book!

7:45 p.m. Lights out for E. I do a quick toy pickup in the living room, then Luke practices a presentation in front of me for an upcoming work trip.

8:30 p.m. We settle down on the couch to watch The Martian, which neither of us have seen yet. We make it half way through and are loving it, but it's getting late, so we pause for tomorrow.

10:00 p.m. Time to head up to bed - later than usual but due to my long nap I wasn't in a huge hurry.

10:45 p.m. After reading my current Hercule Poirot novel, I'm finally feeling sleepy so lights out!

No comments: