Saturday, July 2, 2016

Day in the Life - 18 Months

Emmett finally went out of the state - we took an epic road trip to Iowa to celebrate my Grandpa's 95th birthday. Luke and I swallowed crazy pills and decided we could tackle a road trip. And you know what? it wasn't too bad! We divided the 900+ miles into three days of driving and stayed with my aunt one night on the way up and back. The hotel we stayed at upgraded our room from a studio to a 2 bedroom (SWEET!) so we could all actually get some sleep and not have to camp out in the bathroom to watch a show on pillows on the ground (which we did in the hotel on the drive up - would not recommend). Anyway, E is chattering up a storm, climbing like crazy and snuggling like a sweet little monkey, and I love it.

But there's no rest for a toddler's mama, so here's another day in the life:

6:50 a.m. Emmett is awake! Luke grabs him and E ran around and snuggled with me in bed for a while - a new development. I love snuggles! They headed downstairs and I mouthbreathed for a few minutes before heading down.

7:15 a.m. I'm downstairs and the coffee is made. Emmett stands on his stool next to me to watch me make breakfast while he munches on some peanut butter Puffins and strawberries. We sit down to breakfast - PBJ oats for me with plenty of berries, and E has Cheerios, yogurt and more strawberries.

7:35 a.m. All done! Emmett and I head outside to play in the sand table and garden while Luke finishes getting ready for work. We wave "bye bye" to him and keep on playing. He waters the garden (he's obsessed) and I eye the magnificent cucumber that I plan on picking for dinner tonight - yum!

8:30 a.m. My friend Marisa comes over with her 4 month old twins Austin and Jonas. We head out on a hot stroller walk around the neighborhood and cover 2.8 miles. We cool off back home with some tangerine La Croix and visit for a bit. Emmett had fun showing off his toys to the babies!

10:10 a.m. Marisa heads back home and I offer E a peach for a snack. He has a few bites and then surprisingly is done (peaches are the favorite right now). While he snacks I use a vegetable peeler to make some zucchini ribbons. Next, Emmett wants to go on a toddler walk with Benji. We walk down the street and run into our neighbor Dan who is homebrewing. He's making a double batch and Luke is brewing a double batch tomorrow, then they switch! Double the beer, half the work. :D

11:00 a.m. After a power shower, Emmett and I drive to Gymboree. And bonus, our favorite teacher from the fall/winter is teaching today! E has a blast climbing the ramps, shaking maracas and jumping on me. He starts to look really tired, so we peace out right as class ends. Despite my best efforts, he falls asleep the last couple minutes of the car ride.

12:15 p.m. Back home! E doesn't want to get in the crib for his nap so I throw together lunch. I took some salmon (in the cast iron skillet sprinkled with salt and pepper, cumin, paprika and chile powder - sear flesh side down, then flip and put in the oven at 400 for 8 minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup). I toss the zucchini with olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon and honey and some garden grown tomatoes and basil. Then crumbled on plenty of feta :) I warmed up a few steamed sweet potatoes and toasted a bit of garlic naan. E has leftover quinoa and broccoli along with naan and salmon. He pounds his lunch - clearly he was hungry - and then chugs some water. I ask him if he wants milk and he says yes (score!) so I make a bottle and we start naptime. He drinks half the bottle (not surprising after a big lunch) and we read a few books, then I say goodnight.

1:00 p.m. Emmett is down for his nap - hooray! I put away some clean clothes that have been sitting in the laundry basket in our room for a couple days now - oops. I come downstairs to clean up the kitchen and then work on this post. Luke comes home early from work - yay! We chat for a bit, then I work on customized photo birthday cards for my Grandpa (belated, my bad!) and my mom (she's got a big birthday coming up and we're celebrating at the beach next week!). I was hoping to prep dinner but...

2:15 p.m. E is already awake. Wah wah. Yesterday was only a 45 minute nap, so I guess I'll take it. This new long 11-12 hours at night but only 1ish hour during the day sleep schedule will take some adjustments on my part. Luckily since Luke is here I've got help! We're walking out the door to go visit with our OTHER neighbor who is brewing beer when my friend Meg texts me asking if she wants to meet up for a pedicure. Um, YES! Luke agrees to hang with Emmett so I can go, yay!

2:50 p.m. I meet Megan at the salon. We both pick a shade of red for our toes and have lots of fun catching up and getting our pedicures.

4:14 p.m. We say goodbye and I head to the pool where Luke and Emmett have been splashing around. E was having a BLAST getting thrown around by Dada, and he enjoyed an apple for a snack. By the time I got there they were out and starting to dry off, so I helped get E changed into clothes then we headed home.

4:45 p.m. I start making dinner. I realized that the dinner I planned was actually a crockpot one (doh!), so I switch gears and start on another one - Seared Tofu with Sweet Chili Sauce and Broccoli (I didn't have bok choi but I steamed some kale and spinach with the broccoli instead. Two thumbs up for this recipe!). I always skim recipes to make sure I plan ahead, so I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't do that this time. Luke calls his dad to catch up since he just got back from a long worktrip, and he takes Emmett outside to play at the sand table and garden so I can cook without having to hold a toddler ;)

5:35 p.m. We sit down to eat. Emmett pounds the mix of white rice and quinoa I made. I planned on cooking brown rice but didn't realize we were out - fail. He enjoys some broccoli and a bit of tofu, but this isn't a huge meal for him.

5:50 p.m. Dinner is done. We horse around the house playing with toys, running with Emmett's lion push toy and playing with trucks. I also sneak into the kitchen to get most of the cleaning done.

6:40 p.m. Time to go upstairs for bedtime. E has a pretty mellow tubby followed by a big bottle while Luke reads us some Harry Potter. Then we sit down to a handful of books (including this Pride and Prejudice one that he loves right now!), brush teeth, read his goodnight book and turn out the light.

7:25 p.m. E is down! Luke and I whip up some martinis (vodka for him, gin for me) and play a game. Luke and his friend play video games together via google chat (Mike is in Corpus) as a way to "hang out" even though they can't see each other. They just discovered this ridiculous game and Luke convinced me to play for a bit - it IS his birthday weekend so I wanted to be a good sport. It was a fun, but he was definitely better than me haha! Then we sit back to watch Game of Thrones (we're halfway through season six) and I download another Hercule Poirot ebook (love a good Agatha Christie novel!) for my nook from the Austin Public Library site.
9:20 p.m. I head upstairs to read some Poirot while Luke stays downstairs to kickstart a few things for brewing tomorrow morning.

10:00 p.m. Lights out!

No comments: