Monday, June 24, 2013

Herbed Rice with Corn and Pine Nuts

Luke loves white rice. Well, I do too, but I don't let us eat it all the time (see my last post on keeping whole grains handy). But, sometimes when I'm grilling up lean fish or meat and veggies, I indulge Luke's (and my) white rice obsession - the fluffy texture and clean taste always reminds me why I love it.

Any veggie could be tossed in here to boost the nutrition, but I happened to have some leftover sauteed corn, and I knew the sweetness would be divine in here. If you don't have pine nuts (or can't stomach the price) pistachios would be lovely in here too.

Herbed Rice with Corn and Pine Nuts

1 1/2 cups dry basmati rice
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup corn kernels (from 1-2 ears)
1 tablespoon oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup pine nuts 
1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped (I used basil and mint)

Prepare basmati rice to package instructions (I prefer using a rice cooker). Toss cooked rice with butter and set aside.

Meanwhile, remove kernels from corn. Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat with oil, then saute garlic and corn until lightly browned (6ish minutes). Season with salt and pepper.

In a small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium low heat about 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add to rice bowl along with corn. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and toss to combine. Taste and add additional salt to taste. Enjoy!

No comments: