Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sausage and Poblano Chili

I can't help it - any time there's a "cold snap" in Austin, my mind instantly turns to chili. Luke and I don't eat a ton of red meat, but I'd say the majority of what red meat we DO eat at home is in chili.A longstanding favorite in our house is The Pioneer Woman's version in her cookbook - so tasty! I've tried doing "healthy" chili before that's broth and vegetable based with some ground turkey, but Luke turns his nose up at it. When I saw this recipe in Cooking Light's October issue, it caught my eye, but I knew a couple small tweaks would make it Luke-friendly. I was right!

Sausage and Poblano Chili
Adapted from Cooking Light's Poblano-Turkey Sausage Chili

1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 links sweet italian sausage, casings removed
1  tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 bayleaf
2 poblano peppers, halved, seeded and chopped 
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 14-oz can diced tomato, undrained
1 14-oz can pinto beans, drained
1 14-oz can black beans, drained
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons chicken broth OR water
1/4 cup cilantro
Optional toppings: sour cream, cilantro & shredded cheddar

Heat oil in a medium to large pot (I use a 5 qt dutch oven). Add onion and garlic and saute 4-5 minutes. Add sausage and break it into crumbles, then add spices and poblanos and saute another 4-5 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomato and beans and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and broth to make a slurry, then add to chili. Cook another 2 minutes, stir in 1/4 cup cilantro, then serve.

No comments: