Monday, October 15, 2012

Chard, Squash & Farro Salad

I won't lie, my garden is looking really happy right now and I'm thrilled! After buying our house this spring, I got this uncontrollable ITCH to start gardening, and once the crazy hot weather passed, Luke and I went about building our first few boxes and filling them with kale, collards, chard, spinach, beets, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and carrots (ambitious much?). Things are sprouting nicely and I can't wait to start plucking the leafy green goodness. In the meantime, however, I've been satisfying myself with store-bought goods and experimenting with recipes I hope to make once I can start harvesting my crop. 

This is an adaptation of a mustard greens and squash recipe in this month's Bon Appetit. Honestly, I think mustard greens would've been better than chard here, but work with what you've got!

Chard, Squash & Farro Salad

Adapted from this Bon Appetit recipe for Mustard Greens, Roasted Squash and Hazelnut Salad

1 2-lb. butternut squash

2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup hazelnuts, skins removed
1 cup farro
1 large bunch swiss chard, stems removed and leaves cut into 2-inch pieces
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup walnut oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
 1 tablespoon grainy mustard

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Half, peel and seed butternut squash, then cut into 1-inch pieces. Spread out on a baking sheet and toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast about 35 minutes, until soft and browning. 

Meanwhile, spread hazelnuts on a small baking sheet and roast about 10 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes, then cut into large pieces. 

Bring 3 cups water to boil, then add farro and let cook about 18 minutes. Drain whatever water remains and add to a large bowl.

In a large skillet, head remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Add chard and saute until somewhat softened - 2-3 minutes. Add to bowl with farro then also add butternut squash, hazel nuts and goat cheese.

In a small bowl, whisk together walnut oil, vinegar, maple syrup and mustard. Pour over salad and toss to combine.


No comments: