Monday, December 7, 2009

Pineapple Turkey Burgers

I love reading my friend and coworker Emily's blog, Cooking Inside the Lines. We both share a passion for cookbooks and food magazines, but she actually takes the time and diligence to follow recipes and rate them. Thankfully, we have similar food tastes, so she does test runs of all the recipes I want to try. Lately she's been on a pineapple jam kick, which I thought would be the perfect topping for one of my favorites, turkey burgers! This one is a bit decadent and not for the weak-hearted :)

Pineapple Turkey Burgers

Burgers:
2 pounds lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons minced red onion
2 tablespoons minced bell pepper
1 tablespoon basalmic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
2 ounces goat cheese

Toppings:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 poblano pepper, sliced
1 tablespoon basalmic vinegar
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
1/2 cup pineapple jam
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Preheat a large grill pan or skillet on medium heat. Combine turkey, onion, pepper, vinegar, lemon, parsley and salt and pepper in a bowl. Form into 6 even-sized patties. Divide goat cheese into 6 portions and roll into balls. Place one ball in the middle of each patty and pull meat around it so that the cheese is hidden in the middle. Grill turkey burgers about 10 minutes on each side, or until the inside is no longer pink.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet and saute onion and peppers on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add basalmic vinegar and cook another 3 minutes. Toast hamburger buns and spread pineapple jam on each side. Top with a burger patty and basalmic glazed vegetables. Finally, add some crumbled bacon. Then listen to all the yummy noises made at your table :)

I served these with Guy Fieri's Sofrito Mashed Potatoes- love them!

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I couldn't agree more! Pineapple jam was a fun new experience - I'd recommend trying it if you haven't :)

Jenni said...

Super yum! I may have to try this out :)

Unknown said...

Lindsay -
I'm a casting director for FOX's new show Master Chef with Gordon Ramsay. We're looking for non-professional chefs with a passion for food. Shoot me an email at masterchefdallas@gmail.com if this sounds like something that you'd be interested in or if you're willing to help me spread the word through your blog.

Thanks!
Karen Happel
Casting Director
"MasterChef"
3Ball Productions
www.fox.com/casting

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lehfie and I'm glad my pineapple jam kick could provide some delicious looking inspiration. This looks awesome and I can't wait to taste and test myself. Hugs mama!

The Proverbs 31 Woman said...

I pray that your year was full of joy and success and that 2010 will bring favor and prosperity.