Sunday, January 11, 2009

Barbecue Buffalo Burgers

I love a good burger, but I hate to make the same one twice. I decided to mix up my proteins this time and try using ground buffalo. This is a healthier alternative to beef and had a lot of flavor. I topped it off with some homemade barbecue sauce, the recipe courtesy of my roommate Luke's dad. Yum!

Barbecue Buffalo Burgers

2 pounds ground buffalo meat
1/4 cup minced red onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1/2 medium red onion, cut into rings
6 slices sharp cheddar
6 Kaiser rolls

Barbecue Sauce:

3 cups ketchup
3/8 cup brown sugar
3/8 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1/2 stick butter
1 teaspoon garlic
1 cup water

Heat grill. Combine first 4 ingredients and form into 6 patties. Cook on grill about 6 minutes on each side. During the last minute of cook time, place a slice of cheese on each patty to let it melt. Place onion rings in foil and cook about 10 minutes on the grill. Place grilled onions and barbecue sauce on burgers and serve with sweet potato fries.

To make the barbecue sauce, just simmer all ingredients on the stove until flavors meld. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Chefvance said...

please e-mail me I want to invite you to dinner and a live blog forum at Central Market

Also liked the Buf Burgers