Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Steak Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Dressing

As my grilling/red meat fetish continues, I realized on Saturday that I had a great coupon to Central Market for $10 off steak that expired the next day. Naturally I went straight there and bought a fabulous sirloin steak and started plotting. While scanning a burger section on the Gourmet site, I came across this recipe for a buffalo burger with roasted red pepper dressing that sounded delicious, so I prepared the dressing and formed a salad around it. The result was a delicious medley of flavors that everyone enjoyed!

Steak Salad with Roasted Red Pepper Dressing

Dressing
1 red bell pepper
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup buttermilk dressing
1/4 teaspoon hot Spanish smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
Salad
1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons steak seasoning
1 pound yukon gold potatoes
Olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
1 bag spring mix greens
2 whole carrots, sliced on diagonal
4 ounces onion and basil goat cheese


To make dressing, first roast red bell pepper in a broiler about 20 minutes, rotating occasionally. Place in a covered bowl or plastic bag abotu 10-20 minutes. Once cool enough, remove stem and seeds and place in food processor and pulse until smooth. Add remaining dressing ingredients and pulse until smooth.


Fire up the grill. Season steak with salt and pepper and steak seasoning, rubbing in on both sides. Grill until desired pinkness is reached (at my house we do half medium rare and half medium well to please everyone). Let steak rest a few minutes to let juices settle, then slice into strips.

In the meantime, preheat oven to 375 degrees and slice potatoes into bite-sized wedges. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake about 20 minutes. Once removed, add fresh chopped rosemary.


While potatoes are roasting, add spring mix, carrots and goat cheese to a bowl. Add in potatoes once done and toss. Divide onto 4 plates and top with steak strips. Then drizzle with salad dressing and enjoy!
I served this with sliced ciabatta bread drizzled with olive oil and a bit of fresh rosemary.

3 comments:

Brittney said...

I hate you for this recipe. It looks A-MAZ-ING!! So jealous that I don't live a mile away any more.

So what are your plans for my glorious homecoming on Thursday night? Food/drinks of some nature! Also, we'll bring our cameras to lunch on Friday--my turn to be pictured in the blog!! haha

Can't wait to see you!!

Jodi said...

This really does sound so delicious...mmmm...got me in the mood to order a steak salad for lunch today at Belmont.

Anonymous said...

I love steak salad. You know who makes a great one (apart from you)? Kerbey Lane! It's a beef fajita salad technically, but it's really good. Random, I know.