Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Day in the Life with 4 Year Old and 9 Month Old

In the spirit of not letting another 6 months go by, here's another day in the life! Adelaide has changed a lot the last few weeks. She's comfortably going from laying down to sitting back up all on her own, she's rocking on her hands and knees and scooting backwards. She's got 5 teeth and has the most charming wave, and she loves playing with balloons (with mama's supervision). She's also really taking to solid foods. She loves feeding herself easy finger foods like peas, beans and Cheerios, and girlfriend can pound a pouch in no time!


She's also starting to cut down on nursing a bit, but her nursing and sleeping habits still vary a lot day by day. Like, some days she takes one 20-minute nap, on my lap. Like, that's it, all day. Other days, I'll get one 2 1/2 - 3 hour nap out of her. Other days, it's a couple short-ish naps. We just go with the flow, and luckily she stays happy. Her night time sleep has leveled out a bit the last couple weeks with even a few 10-12 hour nights again mixed in - woohoo!

Emmett is really into imaginative play and will tell these intricate stories or have us act out these crazy scenarios for long periods of time. He also likes to act out what he sees on his favorite TV shows. We played a weird version of shuffleboard for an hour last week with some coins on our coffee table based on something he saw on If You Give a Mouse a Cookie - ha!

7:30 a.m. I wake up to Emmett jumping on me in bed telling me Adelaide is awake. I'm all smiles because she slept through the night! It takes me a minute to get out of bed, and I find Luke, Emmett and Adelaide all snuggling in Emmett's bed, happy as can be. I say good morning and we get the download from Emmett because they had a new babysitter last night so Luke and I could go see the Texas Roller Derby Girls for a fun, different date night. He had a blast, and so did we :) Then I grab Adelaide for a quiet nurse in her room.

8:00 a.m. Breakfast time! Luke has some blueberry muffins I made yesterday warming in the toaster oven, so I make some scrambled eggs and grab a Sumo orange. Emmett had a little bit of cereal in a cup and a cup of milk while watching a show with Luke before I woke up, and claims he's not hungry for breakfast- ugh! not cool... He says the orange looks good though and eats half of it. Adelaide chows down on some Cheerios, ignores the eggs I give her and sucks on the orange for about 2 seconds before discarding it. Since she's just nursed, I didn't really expect her to eat a ton, so no surprises here.

8:20 a.m. Adelaide rolls around on the carpet while Emmett and I pretend to drive in a car and go to the zoo (but it was closing, too bad ha!), an ice skating rink, and a music shop. Then he and Adelaide move to the play room to horse around while Luke gets himself out the door for work and I throw some clothes on. I make Emmett's lunch for school, feeling bad I didn't go to the store so he won't have his usual fresh strawberries. He says apple slices will work just fine though - no sweat!

9:18 a.m. I think he's having too much fun playing at home, because he declares he doesn't want to go to school. Uh oh... We go through this maybe once a month, and it's so stressful for me. He LOVES school, but every now and then he kind of freaks out about going. We talk about it and I remind him about everything he loves there, and offer to let him take a stuffed animal. He agrees while still grumbling, but gets in the car. When we pull in the parking lot, he says he LOVES school. 4 year olds - am I right?....

9:40 a.m. Adelaide and I head over to Target. I have fun cruising for Valentine gifts to send to my nephews for their annual Valentine box and get a few groceries as well. I was hoping to get a few produce items, but the selection looks particularly dismal today, so I only get a bag of apples and plan to hit Whole Foods with the kids tomorrow.

10:30 a.m. I'm in line to check out and realize Adelaide fell asleep - oops! I get out to the car and load up. Luckily she wakes up when I get her out of the Baby Bjorn, and I realize she has a dirty diaper. I change it, then nurse her in the passenger seat in the vain hope that she might fall back asleep on the way home. She doesn't, but no worries!

11:00 a.m. I throw the milk I bought in the fridge and head out on a walk. I listen to the first half of the latest Stuff You Missed in History Class episode on the regulator wars - which was inspired by the Outlander books/show. I've been reading the series, so was excited for this episode! I texted my neighbor Tiffany when I headed out, and 15 minutes into the walk she says she's down. I loop around to scoop her up, and we walk and chat.

Noon - I realize Adelaide fell asleep in the stroller - woohoo! We do one more block and say goodbye. I get her in the house and put on some white noise, and she stays asleep. Yay! Lunchtime for me. I warm up some leftover Instant Pot risotto with some roasted cauliflower. For color, I steal some steamed butternut squash I made for Adelaide (she hasn't really enjoyed it the few times I offered, so I figure she won't mind ;)  )

12:30 p.m. I kick up my feet to eat on the couch, turn on an episode of This Is Us and get typing. Then it's time to catch up on laundry mountain!

So. Many. Socks.

1:40 Adelaide wakes up, and just in time. I grab her and we have a nice nurse, then finally get her dressed for the day and head out the door to pick up Emmett.

2:15 Emmett is all smiles after school, and it's gorgeous outside. We play on the playground with a few of his best pals. Adelaide even gets in on the action! I can't put her down on the ground, since she'll immediately start shoveling rocks in her mouth - ha! We have an applesauce snack before heading out.

3:30 Back home, and Emmett has some "relaxing TV time." Adelaide plays on the rug for a while and I do some dinner prep and unload the dishwasher. Then she has another nurse.

Throwing cups - but really, those rolls though! <3 <3 <3

4:40 We head to the backyard to pick some kale and sage from our garden for dinner. Fun fact, we planted our garden way too late and then didn't tend to it, like, at all. But, the kale came in thick and happy, as did the sage, so at least there's that! After gardening, we have fun swinging, playing baseball, basketball, and other 4-year-old random ball games.

5:45 Luke gets home just in time for some preschooler drama. I feel bad he often gets home right when someone is melting down, especially because we usually have mostly lovely days! We talk Emmett off the ledge while I finish up dinner.

6:00 We sit down to dinner! On the menu: panko crusted honey mustard salmon, mashed sweet potatoes with sage brown butter, simple kale salad (recipes below). Adelaide has bits and pieces of everything, minus salt. Emmett doesn't like sweet potatoes or kale (luckily he likes most other veggies though), so he gets brown rice and peas on the side.

Sleepy boy <3

6:30 Emmett looks REAL tired at dinner and just houses two bowls of peas and a few bites of salmon. He asks to go upstairs and take a tub (it was a long, high energy day for him, so no surprises here). I decide to do a quick nurse with Adelaide since she didn't eat a ton at dinner. She's down (which is good, because if I try to nurse and she's NOT hungry, she may be tempted to bite -- ouch!!). She falls asleep on my lap, but no dice with a 6:30 nap. I throw her over my shoulder and we head upstairs, which promptly wakes her up. Emmett is in full tubby mode but says he doesn't want to tub with her tonight, so we wash him up then put her in. He loves "babysitting" her while she's in the tub and happily keeps her entertained with toys while Luke monitors. I sneak back downstairs to tidy up from dinner, then get changed.
Sorry sleepy girl, too late for nap, too early for bed. WAKE UP! :)

7:10 p.m. It's Monday night, which means it's time to head out to Body Jam! They just launched a new routine last week, and I'm really digging it. My watch pings me at 8 with Luke sending a celebratory text that he already got both kids in bed and asleep - woohoo! I stay after to gab with my jam pals for a few minutes, then head on home.
Post-Jam glow

8:50 p.m. Back home, Luke gives me the bedtime download. Apparently, Emmett wanted to keep them company while Luke gave Adelaide a bottle. He crawled in her crib and promptly fell asleep. So when A passed out, Luke placed her next to him and then scooped him up and put him in his own bed. I wish I could've seen that!

I hose off, then pour a little bowl of cereal and we watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

9:35 We head upstairs to get ready for bed, read, and pass out at 10:30. That night, A wakes up once at 12:30 to nurse, and then luckily goes right back to sleep. Spoiler alert, she doesn't wake up til 9:30 and takes her first nap at 2:30. So unpredictable!

Panko Crusted Honey Mustard Salmon

2 salmon fillets, skin-on
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons German or grainy mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup panko
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Stir mustard and honey together in a bowl, then spread over salmon. Top with panko and gently press down.

Warm an oven-safe skillet like a cast iron over medium heat and drizzle with oil. Place salmon, skin side down, in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. Place skillet in oven (don't turn salmon over), and cook another 8ish minutes (depending on thickness of your fillets). Enjoy with or without salmon skin (it's easy to scoop the salmon right off the skin with a spatula when removing from skillet).

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Sage Brown Butter

3 medium sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 sage leaves, cut chiffonade-style
Salt to taste

Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place in steamer basket and steam until tender, about 10 minutes. (Alternately, you could microwave or cook in the instant pot, but I like the texture of steamed potatoes when mashing). Remove from heat and mash. Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-low heat, add butter and sage. Let butter melt and stir occasionally, until right as it starts to get brown. This took me about 4 minutes, but definitely keep an eye. Pour over sweet potatoes and stir. Season with salt to taste.

No comments: