Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Day in the Life - 2 Year Old Part 5

What a fun month! And I'm not just saying that because it was my birthday ;) Emmett's school had a rodeo. He had a blast, but all he wanted to do was run around with this wagon with his besties - whatever works!

My sister and her family came in town for the East Austin Urban Farm Tour and we had an epic weekend. Ben and Emmett got along SO well (they even had a slumber party both nights and slept til 7!), there was lots of time where they played together and the adults got to chill and visit - score! We hired sitters for the farm tour so the adults could play - worth it :)

My mom came in town for Easter and we had fun playing croquet (a Lehfeld family favorite!) and hanging out. She babysat so we could go out for my birthday. Fabi + Rosi was even better than I remembered (it had been 7 or 8 years), although the duo we saw afterwards on a whim was....interesting.

Our neighbors have been doing some landscaping and Emmett was OBSESSED with helping them dig. Like, anytime they were outside, he'd grab his shovel and say "I'm gonna go help Rocky and Abby!" so Luke and I would head over with him shovels in hand and help out (so the experience was hopefully net positive for them haha).

The best weekend was our Hike It Baby camping trip at Colorado Bend State Park. The weather was GORGEOUS and the site was beautiful. Emmett loved staying outside all day, sleeping in the tent, eating outside, hiking and climbing on the awesome tree at the group site. Can't wait to do it again!

 (he had a hard time adjusting to eating indoors - we ate on the picnic table a lot last week!)

Emmett has been obsessed with water (spray bottles then watering cans then the hose), so our plants have been very happy this month! His awareness of social situations has been fun to witness - he's picking up on more niceties like telling the neighbors "it's a beautiful day" or the grocery store clerk "have a good one!". He's showing some typical behaviors of a two year old, but with some gentle coaching we've had some good teaching moments. He's been sleeping well (10 1/2 - 11 hours at night, 2 ish hour naps) and has a new love of green beans! He is a total jokester who has been cracking us (and himself!) up lately. Also, he's discovered the glory of burbs. He burped the other night and said "I farted in my mouth!" - Luke and I practically peed our pants over that one.

7:03 a.m. Emmett's awake! He's calling for Daddy, but since Luke is on a work trip, I saunter in there. He's less than impressed and tell me to get back in bed and send Daddy, but when I remind him Daddy went on an airplane, but I'm happy to go downstairs and make coffee then come back, he changes his tune and asks to go downstairs with me ;) Instead of standing on his stool to stir his pumpkin dunk and help cut strawberries, he prefers to play with toys while I assemble breakfast. Not surprisingly, he also has a dirty diaper after this independent playtime, so I change him before we sit down.

7:30 a.m. Breakfast time! I forgot to snap a pic, but it was a pretty typical morning. He had pumpkin dunk with Life cereal and Cheerios with strawberries and raspberries on the side. I had almond butter and homemade strawberry jam stirred in overnight oats with berries on top. And plenty of coffee :)

7:45 a.m. It's beautiful outside and Emmett asks to go play. He wants to go "in his toes" (barefoot), but after I open the door and we realize it's kind of cold out, he asks for shoes and a jacket (!!!). We have a great time playing around the backyard, which is a nice change since he normally demands to play in the front these days - making it a challenge to dash inside to get us ready for the day. He's happy playing at the sand table, so I dash in to get dressed and pack his school lunch. We eventually make it to the front yard to play a bit more - he begged to water the flowers, but since we did it last night I got him to settle on just using his spray bottle.

9:00 a.m. He asks to go potty - yay! So we take the opportunity to get him dressed for school and say bye to Benji.

9:12 a.m. We drive to school for drop off. We arrive a few minutes early and have fun visiting with his friends in the parking lot. He's excited for school today, but also a little clingy and wants to show me a lot of toys in class and play with him. After a few minutes though he gives me a kiss and I say goodbye.

9:40 a.m. I drive to Marshall's to do some last-minute shopping for a dress for a wedding this weekend, but strike out. I do snag Luke a few additional shirts for his suit. When we were packing his suitcase we realized when he's got to wear a tie, there's really only 2 decent shirts to pair them with, so I bought him a couple more. I also found some fun sandals that should be fairly easy to dance in at the wedding, so score!

10:20 a.m. I have a few minutes, so I run to Home Depot to buy a new hose (I accidentally drove over the end of ours so we can screw the sprinkler into it...).

10:35 a.m. I head down to Far West for my first manual therapy appointment (kind of like physical therapy, but they're more hands-on). I've had chronic ankle issues for 20 years ever since I sprained my ankle as a kid and then continued to roll it playing tennis over the years. I often twinge it during Body Jam and decided I should see a doctor, who recommended I try this. I really liked Tommy who talked to me for a while, checked my ranges of motion and worked with me on lots of exercises. I came home with homework and am determined to keep it up before my next appointment.

12:30 p.m. Back home! I warm up lunch (leftover Asian chicken, steamed broccoli and rice) and snarf it down. I pull out the steam mop and clean the floors since it's been a couple weeks - oops! I was getting really good about doing it every week, but the past few weeks have been crazy. My in-laws are coming tomorrow to stay with E for the weekend while Luke and I go to the wedding, so I wanted to have the house in decent shape before they get here. I vacuum the rug too and dust some furniture. Then I sit down and organize my thoughts for a Mother's Day gift guide I'm drafting for Whole Foods Market.

1:15 p.m. I head back to Emmett's school to pick him up. He's SO excited to see me and flies into my arms when I pick him up - the BEST greeting! He had a great day at a school and has fun telling me all about it. We head back to the car and turn on some Daniel Tiger for the drive back.

1:45 p.m. Back at home, he enjoys some milk while finishing the episode of Daniel. I take the chance to finish mopping and put dishes in the dishwasher. Then we enjoy the front yard for a while, spraying flowers and playing with his toy pliers. I read some books too. We do a Google video hangout with Luke who landed in DC - E is missing him a lot.

2:30 p.m. I tell Emmett it's time for "one more thing" and then quiet time. He's pretty content playing but comes along when I tell him it's time. It takes FOREVER for him to make it upstairs, he keeps getting distracted. But he's happy to settle onto his lamb rug and we read some books while he sips a little more milk.

2:45 p.m. Nap time! I head to the backyard to spray for mosquitoes (an ongoing battle). Then I reassess my dress collection and land on one for the wedding. Now it's time to settle down to write the post for Whole Foods, which comes together nicely. I even get a chance to start this post and throw some laundry in.

4:51 p.m. Oops, I let Emmett sleep a little late (I usually grab him by 4:45) so I go up to wake him. He's in a good mood and asks to watch Daniel downstairs, and insists on bringing his iguana. We enjoy hangout time on the rug while he watches, and I sneak into the kitchen to assemble my sandwich for dinner.

5:20 p.m. I decide to mix things up, so I ask him if he wants to help me wash my car. He answers with a resounding yes, so we head outside. He has fun using the hose to spray the car, but then doesn't want to stop, so I eventually direct him to water the yard while I scrub the car down :)

6:10 p.m. Dinner time! It's nice out, so we eat at the picnic table in the backyard. He has leftover rice, peas, chicken and apple slices. I have a turkey/ham/cheese/mustard sandwich and kale salad with olive oil/honey/red wine vinegar. With a side of Becker Iconoclast cab sav ;)

6:30 p.m. We head to the garden to water the plants and check on the tomatoes, then I ask if he wants to go on a walk. He says yes as long as he can bring his watering can haha. We putter along the street while he waters people's flowers and we chat with neighbors we run into. Then he runs for a bit, and eventually has me carry him on my shoulders home.

7:15 p.m. Back home and I convince him to head upstairs, but he dilly dallies along the way and it takes a good 5 minutes to play upstairs. We play beach (piling up pillows and blankets and running back and forth to fill it with imaginary sand) then enjoy tubby time. He gets bubbles on his nose and then snorts them off and finds it hilarious. He plays contentedly for a bit so I throw some clothes in a bag for my upcoming trip that weekend. We do jammes/milk/books then brush teeth. Bedtime!

8:20 p.m. My bad, kind of a late bedtime. With the late nap and fun shenanigans, time got away from us tonight. Oh well! I normally chill out now, but I've got a lot to do, so I head downstairs to peel potatoes for mashed potatoes. Luke's parents are coming this weekend so I'm getting the house ready for them as well as myself ready to meet Luke in Houston for a wedding! He calls and we chat while I do the potatoes and bake off some snickerdoodles from dough I made earlier in the week. We hang up and I write out some ideas of things to do for the weekend and info on meals I prepared (they're total Emmett experts so I don't even have to write out instructions!). Then I sit down to watch the new Hulu show the Handmaiden's Tale and do my ankle exercises.

9:30 p.m. The show is not for me, so I head upstairs to get ready for bed and read.

10:06 p.m. Lights out!

No comments: