Thursday, September 1, 2016

Nut-free Peanut Butter Oat Balls

Emmett's school is nut-free this year. I expected it, but I waited until the weekend before class started to test that his favorite recipe tastes just as good with sunbutter - oops! Luckily, he loved it and scarfed down five until I made him stop. Phew!

I make a batch every week or two and we run through them like crazy. Probably because I always bring extras to share with Emmett's friends - they know Miss Lindsay always has the good treats ;)

I love to bring them when we hike because they are so satisfying and a few can really fill you up. They're also my secret weapon when we go to play places. I let E run wild for a while, then I make him take a snack/water break to refuel, and then he's good to go for a while. A great way to spend a morning if the weather is yucky!

Ok this recipe is super simple. Wait and see:


Nut-free Peanut Butter Oat Balls

1 cup sunbutter (or a nut butter if they don't need to be nut free. Peanut butter or almond butter are my go-to's)
1 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 pinch sea salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to break up the dates, then whir until it resembles wet sand. Grab about a tablespoon worth and roll into a ball in your hand. Keep in the refrigerator up to two weeks or freeze. Makes 2-3 dozen depending on the size of the snack balls you make!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I finally got around to making these, and they are so good! Both of my kids loved them and kept coming back for more, so I know it's a winning recipe! I used peanut butter. Thanks so much for sharing! -Cheryl Gass