Thursday, August 30, 2012

Late Summer Fried Rice

I love Cooking Light. I subscribe to 4 magazines and read even more at work, but that's the one I've read the longest. I often get recipe ideas from there and expand on them (like I did here, which was inspired by the faux-fried rice), and sometimes I follow the recipes to the T (like with these black bean cakes - divine!). Either way, I love how the saltiness and umami flavors of the Asian sauces contrast nicely with the sweet corn and bell peppers. A great end-of-summer dish!

Late Summer Fried Rice

2 cups brown basmati rice
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 ears corn, kernels removed
1 red bell pepper, halved, seeded and chopped
3 green onions, whites and green parts chopped and divided
1 egg
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
6 large basil leaves, chopped

Cook rice according to package instructions, then place in fridge to chill. Heat oil in a large wok skillet (I used a cast iron) then add corn kernels, bell pepper and green onion one pieces and saute until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add rice and saute another 2 minutes. Create a well in the middle and pour in the egg. Let it cook about a minute and a half, then stir it into the rice. Add the 3 sauces and stir to combine, then let warm 1-2 minutes. Serve garnished with the green parts of the green onions and basil.

Apologies, no photo on this one!!

No comments: