Wednesday, March 7, 2012

We've got the beet

Or rather, I've got the beet! Luke's not the biggest beet fan, but he does put up with my mild obsession. This is a spin on the first way I enjoyed beets, at a dinner at FINO two years ago now. This simple salad is so beautiful to behold, it's almost too pretty to eat (but once you start, you won't be able to stop!)

Beet and Blood Orange Salad

2 large (or 3 medium) sized beets, ends trimmed off
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 blood orange
1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint
Salt and pepper to taste
2 ounces medium-sized mozzarella balls (about 1 inch diameter)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking dish with foil. Rub 1 tablespoon oil over beets and place in dish, covering with foil. Roast 1 - 1 1/2 hours in the oven, until beets are tender when pierced with a fork. Let beets cool, then rub with a paper towl to remove the skins (I wear plastic gloves when I do this so I don't die my hands red!). Chop beets into bite-sized pieces.
Before mozzarella

Peel the orange and pull apart sections, then cut in half. Add oranges with beets in a medium-sized bowl and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with mint and season with salt and pepper to taste. When ready to serve, add mozarella balls and toss to combine.

With mozzarella added

No comments: